Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dealing With It

It's weird getting older, seeing all your friends get married and having kids. Facebook adds to the weirdness, feeding you little bite sized morsels of your friends as adults and productive members of society. I'm pushing 40, and I can honestly say I really don't feel any different than I did when I was a young adult. I've certainly been through more and grown as a person. But in general I feel like my core persona, the "real me" hasn't changed much at all. Except for one major point. I am able to deal with misfortunes and take mishaps much more in stride. I've learned to roll with things. I used to rage (and I do mean rage) against perceived slights, or the unfair way I felt the world treated me. Today was not a great day. Had some heavy stuff dropped in my lap, details don't really matter. There was a time I would have curled up into a snarling, self-hating teary eyed ball of why me over a day like this. But I find myself just rolling with the punches. Life's not fair, period. Shit happens, and it will happen to you. May sound defeatist, but accepting this has made me stronger. Even my kinda bad is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment