Saturday, January 23, 2010

Baby Turtles

Tonight I saw two youngish girls carrying tiny hatchling red eared slider turtles in plastic containers on the subway. I can't blame anybody for wanting to buy a little hatchling turtle. They are absolutely adorable. Barely bigger than a quarter, big eyes, vibrant green color, that endearing clumsiness of something newborn combined with the clunkiness of being a turtle. They are admittedly hard to resist. The thing is I know those turtles are going to outlive those girls' interest in them. I'd put money on it. Turtles live a long time, and they don't stay that cute. I mean, I think they do but I"ve been a nut about reptiles and amphibians since I was a little kid. I predict they'll be up for adoption on craigslist within 2 years. When I hit the lottery and build my dream house, it's going to have a big indoor turtle pond. I'll adopt all the cast-off turtles on craigslist and Animal Planet can come and make a show about me. Anybody interested in further turtle nerd reading should check out this article from the New York Times archives. Fascinating stuff, especially the discussions of turtles longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment